Throwback Guest CoCo Reflections from Production Director, Bryan Kraft:
This Week’s CoCo: Speak to the Future, Not to the Past
This is another learning commitment that goes with speaking up. It’s not natural. It’s often difficult and uncomfortable. However, as you learn how to do this and work on being transparent and share ideas, the conversation can be productive. Even when it is a positive or neutral situation, it can be difficult to speak to the future. “That worked so let’s just do that again”. “If it ain’t broke…” However, we all know that we can always improve. The past is really important and it is a very real factor when discussing why things occurred and how to prevent or improve on them. However, the topic of the conversation should be about the recommendations on the fixing, on the improving, on the growing, using the past as a starting off point, and not as the focus.
Next Week’s CoCo: Be a Hero, Find a Hero
I wanted to push myself and try something new, so I present to you a limerick:
When heroic actions are performed every day
and it is regularly acknowledged along the way,
like celebrating a teammate
who often performs great,
a culture of greatness is made.
Challenge each other, work hard, give high fives.
- Speak to the Future, Not to the Past: This Core Commitment Hero comes from the Office Team – Rachel P! Rachel always is looking to the future to see what improvements she can make. Whether that be updating rubrics, auditing curriculum, or celebrating team members. She doesn’t get stuck on what we have done in the past, but brings fresh new ideas to the table!
Be a Hero, Find a Hero: This Core Commitment Hero comes from the Office Team – Keegan K! Keegan is constantly finding heroes and remarkable people who enter each of our spaces. She is great at celebrating people and is always there when you need her! She will drop anything to help you with something. She is one remarkable coffee geek hero!
- Coffee Geeks Cycle Challenge | Brewing Change: Stone Creek Coffee is thrilled to be supporting Radar, one of our Factory Cafe baristas, in their Brewing Change initiative for the second time! During the month of September, Radar will be participating in the Great Cycle Challenge to end childhood cancer and is excited to assemble a team of Coffee Geeks to join them. Please see a note from Radar below with more details about how you can join their team! Stone Creek Coffee will also be matching SCC team member donations up to $2,000 total for those who wish to participate by donating! Please forward your donation receipts to email@example.com.
- Every year, I participate in the Great Cycle Challenge to help raise money for the Children’s Cancer Research Fund. This year, I wanted to invite all of you to participate with me through Brewing Change! Our team is called Coffee Geeks. How does the Great Cycle Challenge work? You set yourself a ride target and pedal it down over the month, logging your miles via a free app which is linked to your personal rider page. You can ride on or off road or on a stationary bike at home. You can also link your Great Cycle Challenge app to Strava or Map My Ride to track miles or manually enter them. To join our team, check out our team page here. I hope you can join Coffee Geeks and pedal with us this September to help end childhood cancer.
- Employee Council Feedback & Follow-Up: Every other month Eric, our Managing Director, meets with the Employee Council which includes a representative from each area of the company to learn what is going well and what may need work in our spaces. This feedback is then reviewed and corresponding commitments are made. As a result of this work in July, we were able to address and capture commitments regarding a number of work areas including some site specific equipment fixes and more which can be found below. If you have any hot or not items you would like to share outside of NSL Workshops, please do not hesitate to connect with your team’s Employee Council
representative or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request to review flatware alternatives that are not plastic.
We have reviewed alternative options, but will not be proceeding with a switch at this time. The compostable flatware available via our current vendor is not backyard compostable at this time. Bamboo options are also available, but would pose a significant cost increase (10x) to our current pricing.
Cafe syrup bottles get messy quickly due to wear and tear.
Syrup bottles are available for all Cafe Coaches to order via LIVE to secure replacements as needed. Alternative solutions are currently being tested.
Closing/opening schedule recommendations before/after Throwdowns
Team members are welcome to place partial day time off requests (eg. 5-7am) for the morning following a TNT! Team leaders should also work with their teams to understand planned attendance to coordinate closing schedules/schedule requests accordingly.
Emphasis on ergonomic drink preparation in Barista Training
Our Education Team will be auditing the current curriculum for opportunities to enhance this aspect of Barista Training.
App selection requests
Customers can now request 2 shots of espresso in their cold brew and the “make it iced” selection for drip coffee has been removed.
Request for improved signage for recyclable items to improve clarity for customers and team members
Karen, our Director of Retail, is working in partnership with Master Coaches to assess engaging, visible, and clear ways to communicate what products are recyclable in our cafes.
Cafes receive an abundance of phone calls about hours on holidays. Do we need phones in cafes?
We do need to keep phones in the cafes for space specific customer inquiries and for emergencies. We try to make our holiday hours visible on Google and in our social media, but we also know that many customers choose to check or double-check by calling as well. While we know that can be a bit of an inconvenience for the team it is an element of care for customers on those days, as they certainly wouldn’t want to make a special trip out to find the space was closed.
- October 21st MKE Barista League: The Barista League holds unique coffee competitions all over the world, and this fall they’re coming to Milwaukee! Interested team members can choose to compete (free – compete in pairs; competitors are limited so sign up early!), volunteer (eligible for paid volunteer time), or just attend the event (tickets available for purchase). While SCC is not formally involved in the event, we are a community of #CoffeeGeeks and wanted to share this info with you! For more info, as well as competitor applications, volunteer applications, and ticket pricing, check out their website.
Wins & Shout-outs:
- 8/29 – Molly Persin
- 8/30 – Jason Wautier
- 8/30 – Anna Oelerich
- 8/31 – Radar Vandentoorn
- 9/4 – Miguel Martinez
- 9/6 – Joseph Steiner
- 9/12 – Madisen DeBord
- 9/12 – Erik Noble-Macherey
- 9/14 – Silken Bayer
- 9/16 – Yesenia Perez-Velazquez
- 9/25 – Noah Vincent
- 9/25 – Noah Culbreth
- 9/29 – Drew Pond
- Silken Bayer – 9 years!
- Margaret Bigler – 1 year!
- Amy Callahan – 1 year!
- River Cardwell – 1 year!
- Chris Chapman – 1 year!
- Bradley Cope – 2 years!
- Sundance Duchow – 1 year!
- Payson East – 2 years!
- Jenai Ellner – 4 years!
- Katie Fariss – 1 year!
- Mercy Garsombke – 2 years!
- Claire Gorman – 2 years!
- Eva Hagen – 8 years!
- Arabella Husson – 2 years!
- Aaron Johnson – 4 years!
- Saragrace Johnson – 4 years!
- Sarah Lechtenberg – 2 years!
- Mathew Mahnke – 5 years!
- Garrett McGowan – 5 years!
- Erik Noble-Macherey – 1 year!
- Olivia O’Neill – 7 years!
- Natalie Powers – 1 year!
- Stuart Rosenthal – 2 years!
- Brooke Sherman – 3 years!
- Radar Vandentoorn – 2 years!
- Dacia Luckett – Baker
- Emily King – Baker
- Juan Camacho – Line Cook
- Max Mantych – Tosa B
- Join the Whitefish Bay Opening Team: We are so excited for the opportunity to Create Remarkable Care in a new Whitefish Bay Cafe & Kitchen, with a target opening date this summer! We are in the early stages of building a team of Baristas, Line Cooks, and Cafe & Kitchen Team Leaders. If you are interested in joining the Whitefish Bay opening team, either as a permanent transfer or a temporary transfer, reach out to email@example.com!
Employee Discount Codes:
Please don’t share these with non-employees
- 20% Employee-Only Website Coupon Code
- August: Aug2023sccemp
- September: Sep2023sccemp
- 40% Employee-Only Mobile App Coupon Code
- August: Aug2023sccemp
- September: Sep2023sccemp
Ways to Speak Up:
Do you want to speak up about ideas, thoughts, and more? Send an email to Teams & People (firstname.lastname@example.org) or use the button below to send a note anonymously.