Upcoming Merch & Designs:
NEW RESERVE BAGS
Launches August 24th
Our new bags launch with Anaerobic Natural Ethiopia! We’re excited to unveil the new Reserve bags that Angeline Garvey spent lots of time creating. Moving forward, these will be the bags used for all of our Reserve coffees.
Launches August 31st
A warm hearth in a mug, this blend of Central American coffees has set out on a journey to warm you through and through amongst these days that grow ever colder. Notes of caramel and peanut butter bring a pleasant sweetness that’s accessible to the many palates present at fall gatherings.
- 8/17 – 8/30 Gift Card Giveback: This promo is underway! Keep talking to your customers about it before it ends.
- 8/31 Price Update: On August 31st, we’re putting in a price increase across our coffee and cafe products. This price increase will further serve the evolution of the work we do to create remarkable care and products for our partners and guests as well as our work to create a more remarkable and enriching experience for our employees.
- As a B Corporation, we make transparency around our business decisions a priority. Our decision making considers the 5 Impact Areas that govern B Corporation operations including: Our Employees, our Customers, our Communities, the Environment. As we rapidly approach the end of 2023 (and celebrate our 30th anniversary!), we’re making final preparations for the opening of our new Whitefish Bay cafe and we’ve begun planning for 2024 and beyond.
- Over the course of the last three years, we’ve invested heavily back into the pay and benefits of our employees. In our next round of workshops and in next year’s Impact Report we will be publishing the full evolution of the pay and benefit structures that we’ve implemented. While we’ve come a long way, this work is ongoing as we seek to push the envelope for employee compensation in our industry in the years to come.
- Meanwhile, we’ve also taken steps to advance the quality of our coffee while facing stiff headwinds in the way of inflation-driven costs. As has been commonplace, we’ve experienced steep price increases ourselves in the way of packaging, shipping, energy and utilities, software, and pretty much everything else.
- We’ve also seen our industry change quite a bit. While we’ve always offered our coffee in a standard 1 lb bag (because, who wants to buy another bag of beans every week?), we’ve seen most of our competitors shift over to using 12 oz bags while still charging prices equal to or even more than we do. For instance, if you want to order Intelligentsia’s “House Blend” (their most inexpensive coffee), it will cost $16.50 + shipping. That’s $1.37 per ounce before shipping. With our increase to $20 per pound across our line of year-round coffees our price per ounce will still only be $1.25 per ounce while we continue to offer free shipping on online orders and customer reward programs in the cafe including free drinks with bean purchases and redeemable loyalty points.
- So, given these factors, we are making some small price adjustments to drinks and bakery products and implementing a $2/lb increase on our coffee beans. We wanted you to be aware of the factors driving this increase. While putting a price increase through honestly never feels good, this is a necessary step given the evolution of our cost structure and our priorities over the next few years as an employer and as community members. If you have any questions or if you are curious to look at any of these cost figures yourself, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 9/1 – 9/4 5LB Promo: We’ll be having another 5LB sale, but with the price increase, we’ll also be changing the sale prices. The new promotion will be a $60 5LB sale. Note: Sugar Plum Decaf will only be available online for a discounted price ($80).
- 9/29 National Coffee Day: We have $3 Cold Brew & Lattes in cafes. Stay tuned for more details.
August & September Programming Calendar:
Coffee Notification Sheets
Our Short Run, Small Batch, Reserve (when available), Seasonal, Year Round, Decaf, and Cold Brew coffee notification sheets are now available online. Click the button below to check out the blog, which will be updated before each new coffee launch.
Bakery Resource Guide
Our bakery notification sheets are now available online. Click the button below to check out the blog, which will be updated before each new bakery or drink launch.