CoCo Reflection from Meghan Gross:
- This Week’s CoCo: Never Stop Learning
- Here we are at the last CoCo this cycle, before I get into my reflection, I’d like to just thank y’all for taking the time to read these. It’s been a pretty cool experience having some of y’all come into Downer and recognize me from these few months’ reflections. Something that I really enjoy about working at a company like SCC is the genuine enthusiasm and curiosity displayed by its employees which in turn is transferred over to our customers and community. We are always encouraged to further our own understanding and are provided tangible resources to do so. That’s why I decided to become a master barista – so that I can share what I have learned and act as a resource. I love training baristas as well as chatting with customers about SCC; I genuinely appreciate the enthusiasm that comes with being new to something, and I try my best to help others find whatever information it is they’re looking for. We have all done a great job acting as a community of people who want to grow and evolve with changes. This positive attitude regarding curiosity is something that I genuinely hope y’all continue on in your own lives. There will never be a point in which you know everything there is to know about something, so let that encourage curiosity in your life rather than stifle it. Thank you all for reading these reflections the past few months. I appreciate everyone’s hard work and awesome attitudes, keep it up! 🙂
Thanks Meghan for sharing your thoughts with us on this round of the Core Commitments!
CoCo Reflection from Aaron Johnson:
- Meet Aaron: Hey everyone, my name is Aaron Johnson and I was hired in 2019 as a part time barista. This was not my first job as a barista but, the first time I was really intrigued and captivated by a culture, a focus, and the great people surrounding me. After I decided to take some time off of school and focus on myself, I transitioned into a full time barista role. After many months of change and new things, I started my journey as a Cafe Coach in Training at Shorewood Cafe. An opportunity then arose for me to take on the challenge of being a lead coach at SCC Bayview until its final days. After being a barista for many years, I felt it was a necessary step in my career path to ask about transferring to a new role at the SCC Kitchen. After working with a team of people, I am currently a kitchen manager in training at SCC Downer kitchen. Leading me to the next steps of being a chef and possibly pursuing a culinary education, with hopes of opening my own restaurant or business in the future. I am very excited to reflect on these core commitments as they are very important to me and something I will definitely use for the long term future both personally and professionally. Please come say hello and try up some of our amazing new dishes at the Downer Kitchen! We’d be happy to see you in our window!
- Next Week’s CoCo: Keep Your Commitments
- Keeping your commitments is one of my favorite commitments we have. To me it is the essence of accountability. Doing what you say you are going to do. Walking the walk. Keeping your commitments allows others to depend on you. In the Downer kitchen, and in a new environment with new coworkers, I also started to begin taking on different commitments in the Kitchen. I can’t lie, I was nervous for sure! But, being someone that you can trust and count on is very important to me and I think that comes from keeping commitments. I found that keeping commitments was vital, in order to show myself that I can do this and to build strong relationships with my coworkers. After a couple of months, keeping commitments has built trust amongst our team as well has brought out lots of personal growth and job satisfaction for me. Failing to keep commitments can sever those relationships and make it difficult to do our job well and enjoy doing it! That being said, you also need to remember to not over commit and be honest with yourself on how much time and effort you can put in at once. Better to be honest and say, “No I would need an extra day to complete this” so the person counting on you can know what to expect. Keeping your commitments also for me brings a sense of confidence and pride when I complete the task. I hope you found this helpful and can remember to keep your commitments and build strong trusting relationships.
- Never Stop Learning: Our “NSL” Core Commitment Hero comes from the Production Team – Bree Bertz. As the Ecom Fulfillment Manager and a Master Fulfillment Specialist, they have worked in some way, shape, or form in every production role and are always looking for new things to learn to help the Production team succeed and grow. Great work, Bree!
- Keep Your Commitments: Our “Keep Your Commitments” Core Commitment Hero comes as a shout-out to Meghan Gross for writing the Core Commitment reflections. Meghan kept her commitments by writing a very thoughtful take on our CoCos and submitted them each week before they were due. In turn, these commitments helped us all to grow in our learning about different ways to interpret these values. We appreciate you and your work, Meghan!
- SCC Company Update: If you missed the 3/18 Company Update blog featuring the mask policy update, check it out here.
- SCC Transportation Grant: Hey Coffee Geeks! In striving to be equitable, inclusive, and environmentally conscious, SCC offers a transportation grant opportunity to a handful of team members each quarter. This grant is awarded based on need. Team members who receive this grant will receive a monthly reimbursement towards a bus pass, bike, etc. If your primary method of transportation to work is something other than a personal vehicle and you are interested in participating, please email email@example.com to request an application. All current and previous recipients should reach out to Teams to request a new application to reapply for the upcoming quarter. We will be accepting applications through the end of the day on Monday, April 11th, 2022. Q2 grant recipients will be selected by the end of the day on Monday, April 18th. Please see the 2022 Employee Handbook for additional details.
- Leadership Careers with SCC: Hey Coffee Geeks! Do you love thinking hard, problem solving, growing your craft, supporting your coworkers, and Creating Remarkable Care? Have you ever considered pursuing a career in leadership? Leadership and career development support long-term goal achievement and path advancement, whether your long-term leadership goals may be owning or managing a business, administration, education, human resources – the list goes on! SCC offers rewarding and challenging leadership development through our Cafe Coach Training program.
- We are currently accepting CCT interest from remarkable team members who are passionate about team development, and who seek to gain leadership experience that will serve them in building their career.
- To learn more about team leadership and development opportunities with SCC, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Never Stop Learning!
- Black History Month Donations: As a follow up from last month, we have donated a total of $1,100. The organizations we donated to were: EJI, Gold House, and BADG.
- 4/5 Factory Cafe Closed: Our Factory Cafe will be closed on Tuesday, April 5th all day in order for our cafe countertops to be replaced. The cafe will reopen as usual on Wednesday, April 6th at 6am. Joshua and Karen anticipate that this will impact all Factory teams. Please see the following notes and considerations and let Karen and Joshua know if you have any questions, need any support, or if you think of anything else we need to consider in preparation for 4/5 cafe closure.
- Cafe Customers:
- The Factory Cafe team will notify our cafe customers of our Tuesday closure via signage and in-person interactions beginning Monday, 3/28.
- Kyoo (mobile app customers) and Google hours will reflect this closure.
- Wholesale/ECOM customer pickups; front-door deliveries:
- A sign with instructions and our main office phone number will be posted; Kara & Keegan will be onsite @ FCT to support customer pickups and front-door deliveries.
- Learning Lab:
- Classes will be held in the Learning Lab as scheduled on Tuesday 4/5. Hailey will communicate with Cafe Educators and Apprentice baristas of the entry protocol for that day.
- Karen will work with Hailey, Riley, and Eva to work out a brewing strategy for Tuesday, 4/5 so we have drip and possibly other beverages available for our teams while the cafe is closed.
- All Factory Teams:
- Please notify your team members that they’ll need keys, or to be let in by a coworker/team leader, to enter the Factory on 4/5.
- Cafe Customers:
Wins & Shout-outs:
Email the Employee Celebration Committee (email@example.com) if you’d like to recognize or celebrate a teammate. Or if you want to make a public shout-out, email Val (firstname.lastname@example.org) to include in the next Employee Newsletter!
- 3/28 – Kaylee Pikula
- 3/30 – Adelie Content
- 3/31 – Anna Huntley
- 4/1 – Domenic Serena
- 4/1 – Maya Shub
- 4/2 – Joshua Speer
- 4/2 – Austin Wood
- 4/5 – Christopher Hoag
- 4/6 – Kailey Lesser
- 4/6 – Macy Saucke
- 4/8 – Claire Gorman
- 4/10 – Rachel Perik
- 4/12 – Joshua James
- 4/17 – Margaret Tews
- 4/17 – Bree Bertz
- 4/21 – Riley Isaac
- 4/25 – Eva Hagen
- 4/27 – Jenai Ellner
- 4/27 – Garrett McGowan
- 4/29 – Monica Brown
- 4/30 – Aaron Johnson
- 4/30 – Bryan Kraft
- Anna Oelerich – 9 years!!!
- Rachel Perik – 4 years!
- Alexander Plyer – 3 years!
- Ellen Schumm – 9 years!!!
- Kristen Tetzmann – 3 years!
- Brandon Tougas – 1 year!
- Bailey Anderson – 1 year!
- Madeline Conway – 3 years!
- Annaliese Frailey – 4 years!
- Michael Marchant – 4 years!
- Anthony Moroder – 1 year!
- Rachel Shea (Wauwatosa)
- Alex Collins (Bakery)
- Justin Zambrano (Bakery)
- Debbie Webb (Delafield)
- Grace Ingham (Downer Cafe)
Current Job Openings:
Digital Marketing Coordinator: We are hiring a Digital Marketing Coordinator to help us grow and evolve our customer messaging initiatives. This work includes social media coordination, copy-writing, digital customer engagement, email data-base management, direct email campaigns and other web-related projects. If you or someone you know has experience in digital marketing, you can learn more about the role and apply here.view all current openings
Employee Discount Codes:
Please don’t share these with non-employees
- 20% Employee-Only Website Coupon Code
- March: Mar22sccemp
- April: Apr22sccemp
- 40% Employee-Only Mobile App Coupon Code
- March: Mar22sccemp
- April: Apr22sccemp