CoCo Reflections from Meghan Gross:
- This Week’s CoCo: Take Risks
- Take Risks can be an intimidating CoCo for some of us, I know it was for me, especially when I first started at SCC. It can be nerve wracking asserting yourself into your role sometimes when you aren’t totally sure of how you fit into it yet. I think a big part of Take Risks is jumping into your role, without focusing heavily on doing things exactly to a tee how more veteran folks in that role work. Don’t be overly afraid of making mistakes, since that is often the best way to learn. It happens, try not to let that deter you from becoming confident in your role. I think that’s one of the things I really like about my role as a Master Barista is that I’ve gained the confidence that comes with the position, but I’m also not afraid to improvise, give and receive feedback, make mistakes and learn from them. Don’t feel pressured to be perfect every single day. Try to start your days with a fresh mindset and a good attitude and continue taking risks; your confidence will grow as you continue this challenge!
- Next Week’s CoCo: Be Urgent to the Customer
- Next week’s CoCo is one that we can always continue working on. Being Urgent to the Customer is how we are able to serve massive amounts of people in such short interactions. I’m sure we all have had those experiences where you go to some business and you’re not acknowledged by staff and are treated as if your time isn’t important or appreciated. It makes you feel devalued, not even from a business standpoint; simply from a personal perspective, no one likes to be ignored. I hope that by simply being willing to drop side tasks to help customers or even just greeting them, they see that we strive to create a positive, welcoming environment. Showing that we are prioritizing our customers is a stellar way to create remarkable care by not only completing orders quickly, but also ensuring that even if those interactions are fast, we still show folks that we want to help create a great experience for them. Having a sense of urgency shows focus and care in your work, and hopefully that will in turn make the customer feel like their time is important and they are being cared for in a positive manner.
- Take Risks: Our “Take Risks” Core Commitment Hero comes from the Cafe Coach group – Alexis Westhoff, our Master Coach in Lake Country, is a stellar example of Taking Risks! Alexis has an NSL spirit and continuously challenges herself, team members and coworkers to take well-considered risks in pursuit of coffee geekery and Remarkable Care. She seeks additional projects and tasks that expand her comfort zone and help grow her team! Alexis also builds great plans and captures commitments to mitigate possible risks, and is always eager to collaborate with coworkers and other leaders to keep growing together. You’re awesome, Alexis!
- Be Urgent to the Customer: Our “Be Urgent to the Customer” Core Commitment Hero comes as a special shout out to Downer Cafe & Kitchen Leadership Team – Miguel Martinez, Zipporah Caspers, Abby Lane, Annaliese Frailey, Kyra Hankins, and Aaron Johnson! Downer Cafe Coaches and their team are celebrating the addition of a second espresso bar this week, and both Cafe & Kitchen are thinking and working hard with their teams to prepare for a record-breaking summer season. Downer Cafe & Kitchen teams see the highest customer volume across the Retail group, and their Remarkable Care combined with their hustle makes their space a special destination for customers and coworkers alike. Way to go! Keep crushing, Downer squad!!
- Leadership Careers with SCC: Hey Coffee Geeks! Do you love thinking hard, problem solving, growing your craft, supporting your coworkers, and Creating Remarkable Care? Have you ever considered pursuing a career in leadership? Leadership and career development support long-term goal achievement and path advancement, whether your long-term leadership goals may be owning or managing a business, administration, education, human resources – the list goes on! SCC offers rewarding and challenging leadership development through our Cafe Coach Training program.
- We are currently accepting CCT interest from remarkable team members who are passionate about team development, and who seek to gain leadership experience that will serve them in building their career.
- To learn more about team leadership and development opportunities with SCC, please email email@example.com. Never Stop Learning!
- March Pay & Performance Reviews: All team members, be sure to complete your rubrics & prep for your P&P in advance of meeting with your Team Leader.
- 3/17 Thursday Night Throwdown (TNT) – Come to the Factory Thursday March 17th (St. Patrick’s Day). We will be hosting our first TNT of 2022. This TNT will begin at 5pm! So come ready to have fun, and still have time to make it home for bed and wake up at 4am! If you have interest in participating, inform your Cafe Coach if you have not already done so. This TNT will be free for all SCC baristas and will have beverages and snacks provided. It is also a private event for SCC baristas only. Visitors are welcome for the party and as a cheering section.
Wins & Shout-outs:
Email the Employee Celebration Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to recognize or celebrate a teammate. Or if you want to make a public shout-out, email Val (email@example.com) to include in the next Employee Newsletter!
- 3/14 – Ellen Schumm
- 3/18 – Daniel Sutton
- 3/19 – Manning Steinke
- 3/21 – Zoe Brown
- 3/23 – Jared Lund
- 3/23 – Naomi Pelland
- 3/26 – Danielle Svehlek
- 3/28 – Kaylee Pikula
- 3/30 – Adelie Content
- 3/31 – Anna Huntley
- Anna Oelerich – 9 years!!!
- Rachel Perik – 4 years!
- Alexander Plyer – 3 years!
- Ellen Schumm – 9 years!!!
- Kristen Tetzmann – 3 years!
- Brandon Tougas – 1 year!
- Chase Sullivan – Production
- Makayla Drutowski – Oconomowoc
- Mackenzie Arndt – Glendale
- Sadie Johnson – Downer Kitchen
- Jessica Porter – Bakery
Employee Discount Codes:
Please don’t share these with non-employees
- 20% Employee-Only Website Coupon Code for March: Mar22sccemp
- 40% Employee-Only Mobile App Coupon Code for March: Mar22sccemp