Nothing gets the gears grinding quite like cold brew, but sometimes you don’t want the gears to grind too much. That’s where we come in, showing you how to brew cold brew a few different ways based on the caffeine content (or lack thereof) that you’re looking for.
To begin, each of the three recipes use the same base recipe, found here:
1. Fill a disposable or reusable cold brew coffee filter bag with 227g of medium-coarse ground coffee. (If you’re really in a pinch, you can even use a new tube sock as a filter.) If you don’t have a scale to weigh out the coffee, 227g is roughly 2 cups.
2. Make sure that the bag is fully closed or sealed.
3. Set the filter-bag into the bottom of a vessel of your choosing. The vessel needs to be large enough to hold 64 oz. of water, so that large pitcher you thrifted that’s been in your cupboard collecting dust can get some use, or even a food-safe bucket or kitchen bowl would do.
4. Fill your vessel with 64 oz. of room temperature water.
5. Place the lid or covering on your brewing vessel and keep stored at room temperature for 15 hours.
6. After the 15 hour brew time is complete, lift the filter out and let the liquid drain from the filter to capture all the cold brew goodness.
7. Once brewed, this product is best stored in an airtight container and must be refrigerated. We recommend drinking this within 2 weeks.
Want to try something different? Try using cold water and letting the brew steep in the fridge instead. I find that maintaining a low temperature while cold brewing prevents undesirable volatile aromatics from dissolving while brewing, and the amount of total dissolved solids (TDS) is lower as well, which provides a slightly ‘cleaner’, less concentrated tasting brew.
PICK YOUR POISON: THREE LEVELS OF CAFFEINE
It’s no secret that cold brew can be highly caffeinated. Afterall, the coffee to water ratio of many cold brew recipes is much higher than it is for pour-over and drip coffee.
This fully caffeinated cold brew slaps, and we mean that quite literally. Like a kick in the teeth, this juicy, creamy cold brew is the jolt of energy you need to get you through, well…just about anything.
For this recipe, follow the base recipe above, using 227g of your favorite Stone Creek Coffee, ground medium-coarse.
Pro-tip: If you’re looking for something bright and acidic, try a light roast like our Green Dragon Costa Rica. If you’re looking for something full-bodied and sweet, try a medium-dark roast like our 3 Volcanoes Dark Guatemala. Personally, I love to try our rotating line of Small Batch offerings as Cold Brew.
Sometimes you need some caffeine, sans the jitters. We’ve got you covered with this half-caff variation of our cold brew recipe. Though this example uses our Decaf Cream City paired with our Cream City, you can use any combo you wish! Want more or less caffeine than half-caff? Adjust the decaf and full-caff coffee weights as you please.
Follow the base recipe above, using 114g Decaf Cream City and 113g Cream City ground medium-coarse.
Let’s face it, sometimes we (our our bodies) just don’t want or need any caffeine, but that doesn’t mean we don’t want coffee! This cold brew recipe uses 100% decaf to give you that coffee taste, without the coffee jitters.
PRO-TOOLS TO ELEVATE YOUR COLD BREW
Want to step up your cold brew game? Cop the ESPRO Cold Brew System and filters. Our favorite part of the ESPRO CB System? The extra fine mesh filter screen at the bottom of the vessel helps further filter out fines at the bottom of the brew, leaving the final cup even fresher and crispier. Bonus? It comes with a 64oz jug to decant your final brew into, perfect for fridge or cooler storage. Want to make your cold brew nitro? Fear not, we’ve got you covered with the uKeg Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker. Bring the keg with you to the office, beach, or wherever you want nitro cold brew on hand.
Cold brew is for everyone, whether you like to brew it at home or grab it on the go at your neighborhood Stone Creek cafe. Add milk, sugar, syrup, or drink it straight up — the cold variety of coffee is customizable, however you like it. We’ve created an easy-to-use product for those who prefer to brew at home, but want the guesswork taken out. Click the button below to shop our line of Cold Brew Filter Packs, which are pre-ground & pre-weighed #FarmToCup coffee in a cold brew filter. And as always, all orders at stonecreekcoffee.com get free carbon neutral shipping via UPS Ground. Start cold brew season off right by brewing up a batch of your favorite Stone Creek coffee.
#AsYouLikeIt #AsYouWishSHOP COLD BREW FILTER PACKS