Bring Stone Creek Coffee with you on your next camping trip. Adventure awaits!
Summer’s heating up, but that’s not stopping you from getting your coffee fix while camping. There isn’t much more idyllic of a summertime scene than sipping on a mug of coffee by your morning campfire. To help you accomplish your camp coffee #goals, we’ve brought you this Brew Better Guide, Camping Edition.
Though this guide discusses how to brew with an AeroPress, the world truly is your oyster. If you’re not afraid of bringing along glass, a French Press works great, especially since you can set it and forget it.
What You’ll Need
If you want to keep your gear to a minimum, boiling the water over a fire is your best bet (backpacking or camp stoves are other options but require fuel). Heat the water using a metal water bottle or pot. Don’t forget to pack hot mitts to remove it from the fire.
You’ll need a sturdy vessel to place your AeroPress on top of. Our notNeutral mugs are perfect for brewing AeroPresses into, but if you don’t have one, a wide-mouth Mason jar or a coffee mug work.
Stop watches are cool and may give you some camp counselor vibes, but the timer on your phone will suffice. If you’re having a retreat away from technology while camping, simply count aloud to ensure you’re not over- or under-brewing.
Now that you have everything you need, you’re ready to camp and brew delicious fireside coffee. Here’s a recipe that we like to use for our AeroPress:
- Weigh or measure out 20g of whole bean or ground coffee. If you don’t have a scale, 20g is roughly ¼ C of ground coffee.
- Place AeroPress filter in filter basket and rinse filter with hot water. Set aside.
- Place plunger of AeroPress in the chute, flip upside down on scale, and tare scale. If you don’t have a scale, place on a hard, clean surface such as a picnic table or bench.
- Grind coffee fine (if not already) and pour into chamber.
- When water is 195-205*F, or just off of boil, pour in 80g and start timer. For those of you who don’t have a scale, that’s a little more than ¼ filled in the AeroPress.
- Stir 3 times with AeroPress stir-stick or something else you have on hand (knife, fork, spoon, etc.)
- When timer is at 30 seconds, fill to 200g. If you’re doing it by sight, the AeroPress should be filled nearly to the top once you’ve added all of the water you need to.
- At one minute, stir 3 times and place filter basket securely on top of AeroPress.
- Place brew vessel on top of AeroPress and swiftly flip everything right side up.
- Plunge down, pushing until you hear a hiss, or there is no more coffee coming out of the basket.
- Kick back, relax, and sip slowly!