HOME / Our History

Our History

Stone Creek Coffee is a craft coffee roaster founded in 1993 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, that employs an army of coffee geeks. We know the best coffees are cultivated and developed through the direct relationships with farmers at origin. We are committed to building lasting relationships with our producer-partners around the world. We summarize this ambition with our shorthand: "Farm to Cup."






The factory was built in 1888 by Burnham and Root, who was one of Chicago's most famous architectural companies of the nineteenth century. It was established by John Wellborn Root and Daniel Hudson Burnham.


During their eighteen years of partnership, Burnham and Root designed and built residential and commercial buildings. Their success was crowned with the coordination of the World's Columbian Exposition (World's Fair) in 1893. Unfortunately, Root died in 1891, leaving his greatest project incomplete. Burnham, despite only having practical experience and no formal training in the field of architecture, was then given the responsibility to finish coordinating the fair. When it opened from June to November 1893, it was a complete success.


Other buildings they are known for are: First National Bank building on Water Street and Rookery Building and Masonic Temple in Chicago.


Fun Fact: Paul Starrett who joined Burnham and Root in 1888, later went on to design the Empire State Building.

  • 1888 – Built by Burnham and Root (Owner: Davidson & Sons)
  • 1890 – Magie Bros. Oil Company1891 – Magie Bros. Oil Company
  • 1893 – Crystal Soap Company of Milwaukee (Toilet Soaps)
  • 1919 – Crystal Soap Company of Milwaukee acquired by Palmolive
  • 1924 – Crystal Soap/Palmolive moves to Chicago
  • ?
  • 1946 – Herlic Corp. (Manufacturer/Assembly of Radio Parts)
  • 1953 – Freedman – Mathews Corp (Manufacturer of plaster and plastic items)
  • ? – Hosiery & lingerie knitting mill
  • 1958 – Boston Store Warehouse (Housing dry goods)
  • 1965 – Modern Fixture (Manufacturer of tavern and store fixtures)
  • 1967 – Basic Fixtures, Inc. (Interiors for stores and restaurants)
  • 1975 – Programmer Cleaners, Inc. (Floor cleaning equipment)
  • 1975 – Wood working shop
  • 1992 – 5th Avenue Antiques
  • 1999 – Stone Creek Coffee HQ and Factory Cafe 

If you have any edits or additional historic information about the place we call, "HOME," please email us at info@stonecreekcoffee.com. We'd love to hear from you!



full monty image